SCUSD Homework Policy
Appropriate homework shall be required to reinforce and extend classroom learning, to develop and enhance sound work and study habits, to learn how to learn, and to assist students in becoming self-directed.
Guidelines for Formulating Homework
1. Appropriate homework assignments include practice or enrichment activities, research or individual study projects, reading in preparation for class, and review for unit tests and examinations.
2. Homework should be based on student’s needs, abilities and achievement range. It should be positive and reinforce students’ individual skills and/or interests.
3. Homework guidelines should be clearly communicated to students and parents, including specific home learning experiences which parents can provide.
Guidelines for Assigning Homework
1. Teachers should assign reasonable amounts of homework in relation to the age and ability of the students, the requirements of the class, and the purpose of the assignment. Long-term assignments should have intermediate checks by the teacher. In addition to the minimum 20 minutes of reading the following guidelines are suggested and based on students developing regular practice to reinforce classroom learning.
Kindergarten . . . . No more than 10 minutes 2 days per week
Grade 1 . . . . . . . . 10-20 minutes 2-3 days per week
Grade 2 . . . . . . . . 10-20 minutes 3-4 days per week
Grade 3 . . . . . . . . 15-25 minutes 3-4 days per week
Grade 4 . . . . . . . . 30-40 minutes 4 days per week
Grade 5 . . . . . . . . 30-50 minutes 4 days per week
Grade 6 . . . . . . . . 30-60 minutes 4 days per week
Grades 7-12 . . . . 20-30 minutes per class 4-5 days per week
2. The school principal shall be responsible for coordinating the school’s homework practices so that assignments are balanced with respect to amounts given in any one day and in any particular subject area.
Guidelines for Evaluation of Homework
1. Written homework shall be evaluated for accuracy and /or completeness across inter-disciplinary lines, and that evaluation shall be included in the grading process.
2. Other types of homework, such as reading, reviewing for tests and examinations, and other home learning experiences, should be acknowledged and/or reviewed and should serve to enhance student achievement in class.
Guidelines for Parent Participation
1. Parents are encouraged to recognize the importance of homework as part of the educational process.
2. Parents should become informed of the school’s and instructors’ homework procedures and expectations.
3. Parents should become informed of the level of independent work expected of their students and are encouraged to support them and to provide help only when necessary.
4. Parents are encouraged to provide a quiet well-lighted study area and materials for their students.
5. Parents are encouraged to acknowledge and/or review their student’s homework.